Pages

Friday 22 February 2013

Radiophonic Workshop 21 (1979)

Radiophonic 1

Here's an actual credible record. I bought this in a charity shop in Cambridge. That's where you would expect to find a Radiophonic Workshop album. I like to imagine some academics having a tweedy fondue party in the 70s and listening to this. Like Abigail's Party, but with more Hegel and elbow patches. It's celebrating 21 years of the Radiophonic Workshop, and features a lot of their tv soundtrack work. I also have the photographic filter they use on the cover, it came in a big box of cheesy 70s filters I was given and a surprisingly uncheesy book about how to use them. I need to find excuses to use it more often.





Radiophonic 2

I have another Radiophonic Workshop album on tape (the self-titled one),  which my friend Damian found in an op shop in Auckland and taped for me. It doesn't have the tv soundtrack stuff, just music they made themselves on the side (called things like Kitten's Lullaby and Bath Time). I really think the BBC should go back to the original version of the Dr Who theme tune, it's so much spookier than the current version. (If you want to hear a really terrible rendition, then go here)

Talking of the Ideal Home Exhibition, I used to go every year with my dad, who went for professional interest (he worked in the building/architecture/shop-fitting trade). They usually had things to amuse children too like art workshops. Once we went with some family friends and their son, who was the same age as me, about 6-7. They had a lucky dip for the children, and Stuart got some kind of edible goodie. I got a bar of soap that was brown and smelt strongly of cocoa butter. Feeling a bit confused, I took a small bite out of it, and spent the rest of the day vainly to get the smell of soap out of my mouth.

If you ever want to have a go on a Daphne Oram synth yourself, they have one at the Science Museum that you can have a play with.



A New View of Politics

 

The Secret War (it reminds me a lot of this)

Side 1
Quatermass and the Pit (sound effects)
Bloodnock's Stomach (Goon Show)
Outside
Science and Industry
The Artist Speaks (from a documentary about Victor Passmore)
The Splendour That Was Rome
7) Interval Signal
Phra the Phoenician
Stick Up
Time Beat
Ideal Home Exhibition
Time on Our Hands
Arabic Science and Industry
The Chem Lab Mystery
Know Your Car
Dr Who
Tardis
Choice
Hardluck Hall
Talk Out
Science and Health "Mike's Choice"
Secrets of the Chasm
A New View of Politics
Environmental Studies
Chronicle
Great Zoos of the World
Minds of Evil (Dr Who)

Side 2:
Fanfare
Broken Biscuit Club
The Plunderers
Mysterioso (Blake's Seven)
Greenwich Chorus
Hurdy Gurdy
Martian March Past
A Whisper From Space
Swirley
Merry-Go-Round
BBC-2 Serial
Quirky
Newton
The Secret War
Thomas the Rhymer (from a school adaptation of the poem- my all-time favourite book is also based on it, as well as Tam Lin and Eliot's Four Quartets)
Contact
For Love or Money

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...